We all know how important it is to make sure your child wears a helmet, goggles, or knee pads when they play sports. What a lot of us don’t know is that mouthguards are equally important. Because mouthguards are not required for every sport, it can be easy to forget about them or dismiss them as unnecessary. However, doing so could pose a risk of serious injury to your kid. The American Dental Association estimate that 200,000 oral injuries are prevented each year by wearing a mouthguard. Keep reading to hear from a children’s dentist in Helena about the benefits of wearing a custom mouthguard.
Who Should Wear Mouthguards?
Kids are more at risk for oral injury if they play contact sports like:
But even kids who participate in non-contact sports like skateboarding or climbing can benefit from a mouthguard. Just because they are less likely to damage or knock out a tooth doesn’t mean it can’t still happen.
Can a Child with Braces Wear a Mouthguard?
Yes, it is possible to wear a mouthguard that fits comfortably over braces and prevent damage to the metal brackets. Your dentist will be able to offer a custom mouthguard that will fit perfectly over your child’s braces.
What Types of Mouthguards are There?
There are 3 kinds of mouthguards:
- Stock mouthguards are inexpensive and can be found in pretty much any sporting goods store. Because they are one-size-fits-all, they can be bulky and make breathing and talking difficult.
- Boil and bite mouthguards can also be bought at most sporting goods stores and typically fits better than a stock mouthguard. It is made of thermoplastic material. You place it in hot water to soften, then place it in the mouth where it molds to the shape of your teeth using pressure from your finger and tongue.
- Custom-fitted mouthguards are designed to fit each individual person. Your dentist will take an impression of your teeth and a mouthguard is molded to match the exact shape. It is more costly than the other types, but they can prevent injuries than lead to more expenses down the road.
What are the Benefits of Custom Mouthguards?
Custom-made mouthguards have many advantages, such as:
- More comfortable fit
- Won’t slip around in the mouth
- Maximum protection
- Different fits depending on the sport played
An effective mouthguard should be comfortable, durable, and easy to clean. Custom-made mouthguards fit all of these requirements. If your child plays any kind of sport, it’s best to take extra precaution to protect their future smiles. Visit your children’s dentist in Helena today to learn more!
About the Author
Dr. Coplin and his team at Kalmor Dental in Helena, MT strive to make their office a pleasant experience for each and every child who comes in. Dental appointments are never a child’s favorite activity, which is why they have a laid-back environment to make kids as comfortable as possible. They also offer custom mouthguards for any active little ones. To learn more about how to protect your child’s oral health, click here or call (406)-442-1377.